Thursday, February 11, 2016

Man in the Wilderness: Hugh Glass

Charlotte Canelli is the library director of the Morrill Memorial Library in Norwood, Massachusetts. Read Charlotte's column in the February 11, 2016 edition of the Norwood Transcript and Bulletin.


Each year I promise myself that I will see most of the Oscar-nominated films. My hope is always simply that I can watch the presentation program with enough meaningful attention to the awards to ignore all the bad jokes. Unfortunately, that quest hasn’t been exactly fruitful lately. I actually don’t believe I’ve tuned into the Academy Awards telecast for the past several years.

This year, though, I’ve totally surprised myself. Or let’s say, my husband, Gerry, has surprised me.  And he’s surprised himself. He’s not a go-to-the-movies kind of guy, but this year he made it his goal to make me one happy wife.  Over the holiday vacation and beyond, we’ve managed to see eight of the top 2015 movies together.  Add to that the three I managed to see on my own. I’ve topped every goal I could hope for.

My favorite film of 2015?  The Finest Hours, a film set off the coast of Cape Cod, and based on the book coauthored by local writer Michael Tougias.

My second favorite film of 2015? This biggest surprise (to the shock and awe of our 17-year old grandson who considers me a wuss when it comes to violence and suspense), is the bloody, brutal story of frontiersman Hugh Glass in the Revenant. This was a highly unusual pick for me.

And listen up. Spoiler alert. There is violence. There is blood.

The story of Hugh Glass intrigued me. When I was an undergraduate history major in college, I completed an independent study focused on western expansion, the frontier, and background of the American cowboy. (My history professor decided to test me to the limits of my historical and sociological interest. Or perhaps, he didn’t particularly like me. In any event, it ended up being an enlightening project and a test of my research skills.)
The story of Hugh Glass, folk hero, has been told and retold many times. It is true that his life and adventures have been embellished and idealized and it is hard to navigate the fact from the fiction. We know for sure that Glass was born in 1783 and he died at the age of 49 or 50 in 1833.  It was his last ten years of his life that offer us the colorful tale of the man who survived the odds in the wilderness.

Frederick Manfred wrote a five-book series (The Buckskin Man Tales). Part of that series, his book Lord Grizzly, tells the tale of Glass who survived an attack by a grizzly bear, and made a two-hundred mile journey to seek revenge against the men who left him for dead. The 1954 book is not available in Minuteman libraries in print format but you can check out the audio edition (11 hours read by Eric Dove) on our free streaming service, Hoopla! (If you need help with Hoopla!, please call the library.)

Associate professor of United States history at the University of Notre Dame, Jon Coleman, presents a historical account of Hugh Glass in his 2012 book, Here Lies Hugh Glass, a Mountain Man, a Bear, and the Rise of the American Nation.  Another book, this one for middle school readers, is Hugh Glass, Mountain Man. It was written in 1990 by Robert McClung.

Glass’s story is also included in frontier tales and compilations. They can be found on library shelves and on Amazon.

The recent 2015 film, the Revenant, is based on Michael Punke’s 2002 book of the same name. It’s a novelization of the Glass story, but Punke spent years in research (at least four) before the novel was finished. Punke is not only a writer but a professor, policy analyst, and attorney. Currently he is US Ambassador to the World Trade Organization (WTO).

Screenwriters purchased the work of fiction before the book was actually published. That first adaptation was unsuccessful moving the story to film. A final screenplay was finished by Mark Smith in 2010.

The Revenant (starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy) was released in 2015 to limited audiences and it was released to theaters worldwide after the holiday season. Some people have remarked the Revenant could have ended at least ½ hour earlier than it did. I disagree. The grueling pace that Hugh Glass endured for 2 hours and 36 minutes (sometimes on his belly) only enhanced the movie experience for me.

Of course, the Revenant is not the only film version of Hugh Glass’ life. Many of us remember watching Man in the Wilderness in 1971 starring Richard Harris (not to be confused with Jeremiah Johnson, 1972, starring Robert Redford.) Man in the Wilderness is loosely based on the story of Hugh Glass (Harris plays a character named Zachary Bass.) I invite you to live Zachary Bass’ experience, especially those harrowing nights he spent hidden by leaves in the wilderness, and watch the movie again or for the first time. It is now part of a two-movie DVD (with Deadly Trackers, another Harris film.) The DVD is on backorder but we should have it in Norwood soon.

The Revenant takes liberty with the historical account of course. On HistoryNet you’ll find a full of account: Hugh Glass, the Truth Behind the Revenant Legend.  There is no historical mention of a wife or a son, both important romantic vignettes and components of the films.

The truth is that the real Hugh Glass eventually catches up with the men who left him – Bridger and Fitzgerald. He forgives Bridger for being young and impressionable; he loses the passion to kill Fitzgerald who is now a United States soldier (and his Fitzgerald’s murder would lead to Glass’ own execution.)

Glass died on the frontier in 1833 in a bloody battle with the North Dakota tribe, the Arikaras, but the legendary Hugh Glass remains fully alive for years to come in the extraordinary movie, the Revenant. (There is no DVD release date for the movie but the library will have it the moment the film is available for our collection. The movie already appears in the Minuteman Library catalog and be one of the first on our library’s request list.)