Thursday, August 29, 2019

A Do-It-Yourself Education

Nicole Guerra-Coon is the Assistant Children’s Librarian at the Morrill Memorial Library in Norwood, MA. Look for her column in the August 29, 2019 edition of the Transcript and Bulletin.


When I was a kid, reading a book was the surest way to get information on any subject. Television like PBS and the History Channel were informative, but you couldn’t exactly just call up a channel for information on a particular subject you wanted to learn about.  But, as we all know, the internet has removed many of the barriers in self education. You just need the motivation, access and time. 


Today, for instance, I needed to patch a few holes in some drywall. Did I know the first thing about that? Nope. Usually for anything home maintenance related, I call my dad as he knows how to fix just about anything. But today I was feeling guilty that a grown woman was waiting for her dad to come visit just to fix something for her. So I decided I could do it. I know how to adult - I have all of the internet at my fingertips! So I watched a few videos on YouTube, figured out what would work, and went to the hardware store. I got the supplies and I patched those holes!

Now, I am not going to lie to you and say I did a great job. I did an “ok” job. But the fact that I followed the instructions and they worked was such a great feeling! I was a little messier than my dad would have been, but I’ll watch videos on sanding it, then paint it, and the wall will be fine.

In recent years, I wanted to learn a few new skills. But with a small child, and almost no extra time or money, I couldn’t go back to school or attend classes. So first, I took advantage of a deal on a website called Creativebug.com. They had a special to try the site for $.99 for three months of unlimited classes, after which a monthly fee kicked in. Classes included subjects like art and design, quilting, sewing, knitting, cooking, paper crafts, and more. There were thousands of classes, taught by professionals via video, and each class was split up into several videos so that you could watch the presentation and then pause and try the activity yourself. I really loved this set-up and the fact that I could watch a five minute part of a class, and then work on a new technique, like a new knitting stitch or a watercolor technique on a random Friday at 8am (or more likely 10pm.)

After a few months, I wanted more than the craft classes offered and I signed up for a different service called Skillshare. The website was very similar to Creativebug, but it offered more technical classes. Again, there were thousands of classes to choose from taught by professionals. The courses were under two main umbrellas called “Creative” and “Business,”  and many of them centered around different computer programs, such as Photoshop or Illustrator. Depending on the class, the teacher might walk you through basic pointers on a specific program or tool, or take you all the way from a sketch to printing your own stickers. There were classes to help you create your own website, teach you how the stock market works, or assist you in keeping track of your finances.

There are other websites that offer similar subscriptions service platforms, like Blueprint and Lynda, but there are also plenty of free options. YouTube is by far the most well known free video platform, but it is also the wild west, where anyone, competent or not can upload anything.  Similarly, the site wikihow.com is a place where anyone can upload images and written instructions, not just videos. Instructables.com is sort of an in-between, where anyone can upload videos and instructions on how to make something, but there are “curators” who control the site and make sure videos are appropriate.  Originally created in the MIT Media Lab as a place for makers to share projects they were working on, it has opened up so that anyone can share their passion for making homemade lasers, 3d printers, or even cosplay outfits.

For more structured, traditional education, there are also free opportunities out there. Khan Academy was originally created for students, but anyone can use the site and refresh their algebra skills (also a life saver for parents trying to help their child with their homework!) Edx.org is an amazing website that allows you to access free college classes from such heavyweights as Harvard, Berkeley, MIT and more. It does not have unlimited free access, but you can pay for that if you wish. Otherwise, there are still many classes to take for free - they are open to you as a student for a couple of months. A unique quality of EDX  is the ability to actually earn certificates and, sometimes, college credits. (Lynda.com also offers professional certificates, through a paid subscription fee.)

And last but certainly not least, we have the library! Beyond books, you can access the databases listed on our website, most of them from your own home. You can search for old Boston Globe articles, look up entries in Britannica, or learn a language with Mango. You can   get mobile apps like Hoopla, Libby or Overdrive,  to download books and other media with your library card.  Kanopy offers independant and award winning movies, and with Flipster you can download whole issues of magazines.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. There are so many resources out there, you can learn just about anything. Now you just need to find the time!