Thursday, May 12, 2016

Saying Goodbye to Big Blue

Librarian April Cushing is head of Adult and Information Services at the Morrill Memorial Library. Read her column published in the May 12, 2016 issue of the Norwood Transcript Bulletin.


I paced the mini-mart attached to the former Mobil station on Nahatan Street, anxious why it was taking so long. My recent inspection had resulted in a big red rejection sticker, so this was the last hurrah. The door to the garage finally opened. The verdict was in.

It wasn’t good. The mechanic droned on about oil leaks and emission standards and emergency brakes and how I shouldn’t have let Jiffy Lube reset the diagnostics to make the engine light disappear. I had already decided against taking drastic measures to keep my car on the road, but it still felt like signing a DNR. While I’d seen it coming–the dashboard’s warning lights had lit up like Las Vegas–it didn’t lessen the guilt. Or my grief at having to say farewell to a car I considered family.
While my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan never climbed Mt. Washington, it still had plenty of experience under its fan belt. Big Blue, as my girls called it, had been around the block a few times: 177,144 miles, to be exact. My hopes of seeing the odometer hit 200,000 were dashed.

I thought of its endearing little quirks: the passenger-side window that wouldn’t go up, the directional signal that wouldn’t go off, the total absence of climate control–heat or A/C–toward the end. Plus the sizeable dent sustained while backing into a telephone pole in Virginia during our oldest daughter’s college tour that never got fixed. I would miss them all.

It was the shared adventures over the past ten years that had cemented our bond. I recalled the family road trip up the coast to PEI when we had to crank up the volume on the “David Copperfield” tape to drown out the backseat bickering. The family truckster had deposited the kids at their first sleepover camps, and was there for the major milestones: the first parallel park, the first solo drive to Shaw’s, the first fender bender. Big Blue had safely delivered all four daughters and their bulging duffels to their freshman dorms as they left the nest one by one, its familiar presence a comfort on the quiet drive home.

My mini-van became the butt of countless jokes as the girls got older and urged me to get a cooler car. Somehow they managed to endure the shame of being seen in a soccer mom-mobile as it transported their worldly possessions to their first apartments. And to almost every new address since then.

On our final morning together I cleaned out the car and backed out of the driveway one last time. We dragged our feet driving to the dealership where I would become the owner of a slightly used pearl-colored Prius hybrid. (Big Blue was a shameless gas guzzler.) It felt strange being behind the wheel of such a clutter-free car. Mostly, it was just sad.

I fought back tears as we were directed past the shiny new imports to the back lot. I know it’s not normal to get this attached to an automobile but I’ve never been very good at goodbyes. After thanking Big Blue for his decade of devoted service, I took a few pictures and murmured an apology. My cherished chariot would be auctioned off and stripped for parts. Like Big Blue had done, more than once, I broke down.

Pearl and I have been together for a few years now. We get along fine. Sure, I appreciate all the little amenities, not to mention the terrific gas mileage, but it’s not the same. Time is a great healer, however, and sometimes I went weeks without thinking about my old friend. I was moving on.
The other day a call came through on my cell phone from an unfamiliar area code, which I generally ignore. For some reason I picked up. “This is the USAA Insurance Co. calling from San Antonio. Are you the owner of a 2002 Dodge Caravan?”

“Uh, I used to be,” I answered, bewildered. How did he know about Big Blue? And what was it doing in Texas??

“The vehicle was in an accident and you’re listed as the last insurer.”

Someone, it seemed, had been driving Old Faithful–without benefit of insurance, but still. Big Blue lived on! Assured that no one was hurt, I couldn’t stop smiling. I explained the situation to the insurance agent, who appeared remarkably unmoved by Big Blue’s rise from the ashes. As Lewis Carroll extolled in “Jabberwocky” (call no.: 818.34 Carroll), one of the few poems I memorized in school, “O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!/He chortled in his joy.” I felt an inordinate pride in the old boy for refusing to go down without a fight. Maybe he’d made it to 200K miles after all.

The lift I got from that brief call lasted days, and really warmed the cockles. As Woody Allen said in the 1975 film “Love and Death” (call no: DVD Love), “nothing like hot cockles.” Now I was curious to see what had been written about the complicated relationship between man and motor car. I found plenty of blogs, but couldn’t locate a single book on the subject. When it comes to resources on parting ways with your trusty wagon, you’re basically on your own.

Fortunately, researching your next set of wheels is a different story. Here the library can definitely help. In addition to the 2016 edition of “The Car Book” by Jack Gillis, you can peruse the annual April auto issue of “Consumer Reports” in both periodical and online format, as well as recent issues of “Car and Driver” magazine. For those in the market to buy or sell a pre-owned vehicle, come to the Reference Desk to consult the N.A.D.A. “Official Older Used Car Guide” or “Official Used Car Guide” for current valuations.


And if any of you writers are inspired to fill the gaping literary void in this often emotionally charged topic, I can guarantee the Morrill Memorial Library will be first in line to buy your book.