Thursday, September 3, 2015

Not So Required Reading

Read Alli Palmgren's column in the September 3, 2015 edition of the Norwood Transcript and Bulletin. Alli is the Technology Librarian at the Morrill Memorial Library.


As another school year begins and I start to see the St. Catherine’s students trickle in each afternoon to get a jump on their homework, I am hit by a familiar pang of jealousy. They have no idea how much I would give to trade places with them. I love my job, I just love school too. I always have.

In high school, I managed to talk my guidance counselor and parents into granting me an exception in order to get out of having an assigned lunch or study hall so that I could take more classes...for fun. My guidance counselor looked at me like I was nuts as she signed the paperwork, but I figured I could eat between classes and do homework on the bus ride to tennis matches or in the lodge between ski races. No one can say I didn’t try to get the most out of my 13 years of public education.

My love of structured learning did not end with high school or even college. Even though I completed my Master’s while working full time and then some, I still found myself getting butterflies every time I registered for classes. Struggling to pay the bills and an utter lack of sleep could not put a damper on my absolute love of learning. Now, I find it hard to recreate that giddy feeling of knowing that you get to start fresh every September.

So until I can find the time to go back to school, I will have to settle for reading some of my favorite “school books”. I’m not talking about required reading for high school English, but rather, books that are primarily set in a school or in which organized education plays a major role in the plot.

While I hate to jump straight to the obvious, the Harry Potter series is one of my all-time favorites and in many ways, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is as close to a character as a place can be. These wildly popular books follow a young wizard struggling to learn what it means to be part of the magical world, all the while battling a great evil. The earlier books in the series focus on the lighter aspects of being a novice wizard trying to pass his potions and divination classes while the later books become darker and highlight the battle between good and evil and how the line between the two is often blurred.

Next, there are several newer books from the Young Adult genre that fit well into the category of “school book.” Contrary to popular belief, YA is not just for young adults and in my opinion, some of the best current fiction authors write for this genre. Titles like “All the Bright Places,” by Jennifer Niven, “Eleanor and Park” by Rainbow Rowell, “Please Ignore Vera Dietz” by A.S. King, and “Every Day” by David Levithan are all great examples of books that bring to light the joy and challenges of growing up.
One standout among these great books is “Looking for Alaska” by John Green. This poignant and timeless novel highlights the the difficulties of navigating complex personal relationships as a young man embarks on his first year in boarding school. I urge adults of all ages to rebel against the restrictions that the name of the genre implies and pick up any one of these books.

Lastly, I would truly be remiss if I did not mention “Cat Among Pigeons” by Agatha Christie. My favorite uncle gave me this book for my 15th birthday, thereby triggering a lasting love affair with Hercule Poirot. This classic whodunit takes place at the Meadowbank School for Girls, a prestigious British prep school where a murder has been committed. As in all Christie mysteries, characters effortlessly waltz in and out of the story and readers are kept guessing until the end.


With any luck, rereading a few of these books will give me that giddy back-to-school feeling, just without the fear of bombing a test, forgetting my locker combination, or dropping all my books in the middle of the hallway in front of that cute guy that sat next to me in AP American History. Not that any of those things happened or anything.