Thursday, July 29, 2010

2001: A Calligraphic Odyssey

Cindy Rudolph is a circulation assistant at Morrill Memorial Library. She also does graphic design and hand-lettered signage for the library. Read her entire column in the Norwood Transcript and Bulletin this week.

Excerpt:


When I became interested in calligraphy around 1980, the first place I went to find out about it was the Norwood library. I found a few books on the subject and began practicing the Italic, Uncial, and Gothic alphabets. I learned about broad-tipped pens, pen angles and permanent inks. I soon realized I could add calligraphy to my offerings as a freelance artist, so I started addressing envelopes for brides, lettering personal poems, retirement citations and whatever else I was commissioned to do. I began teaching calligraphy and exhibiting my work with Masscribes, a calligraphers’guild, and with the Norwood Art Association. I’ve made friends with many other calligraphers, who inspire me and share so much of their knowledge. The art of calligraphy still intrigues me and there’s always something new going on in the field.



You can also read a great article about Steve Rudolph, Cindy's husband.